Sunday, September 7, 2014

How to Embarrass Yourself in Chinese

If you want to know how to embarrass yourself in Chinese, just take lessons from me. Every time I try to speak in this language, my sentences come out all wrong.  At first, things started out great. While going to the the Forbidden City, markets, temples, and exquisite restaurants with my group and hilarious program director, I felt as though China would be a blast and Chinese would not be too difficult. After all, languages are my forte how hard could it be?


Me and my classmate in the Forbidden City
Reality hit as soon as I started school. Lessons are five hours a day (sometimes 6) and by the end of the day,  my head is so heavy that I can barely understand my laoshi. On Friday I was definitely struggling with my hanzi (chinese characters). My tutor and I went to the market  and everything I said was wrong! For example, I told her that I felt like my computer was going to explode instead of my brain (dian nao means computer and  nao means brain). She looked at me as though I were speaking Martian. Later that night as I was hopping on the subway with some friends, I told them  that I was going to have a son on Friday instead of a Chinese character exam (haizi means children, hanzi Chinese characters).  

It is safe to say I need to take a nap---- an extensive two-day long nap. Maybe Buddha will visit me in my sleep and help me survive another week. 


A giant Buddha on top of the picturesque Mount Xiqiao in Foshan
Here are some pictures from around China. Enjoy and have a great Mid-Autmn Festival---- i.e. Moon Cake Day!


   A popular yogurt that you drink through a straw

I WANT ONE!!!!!

Zu Miao Temple in Foshan
Starfish-on-a-stick


 Food stands at the Dong Huamen night market in Beijing. 

China has a sense of humor too! (Picture taken in Foshan)


No comments:

Post a Comment