Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Hipster-chic Beijing

This weekend I went on a mini adventure to find a hidden cafe that claimed to  grow their own herbs in their garden POWERED BY CATFISH. They also claimed to have "furniture made from up-cycled materials." Totally perfect for my compost-maniac-natural-food-eating-obsessed self. Needless to say after getting lost here:


My friend and I finally found this:



We had a blast sharing an amazing duck sandwich, gluten-free sugar cookies and great coffee. The price was a bit expensive for China, but totally worth it. It was so interesting to see the old and new China ---- hipster-chic cafes and all  ---- collide with the older, more traditional China. This hidden cafe was in an old electrical factory, right across from small, traditional dumpling, huo guo (hot pot) and roast duck restaurants similar to this one: 




One interesting thing I noted (as I have been noticing since I arrived here) are not only the amount of couples on the street, but the amount of young couples. I am not exaggerating when I say that 90% of the people I pass on the street are with a partner. At first I thought that maybe love was in the air, but that is obviously not the case. The pressure to get married by 26 or 27 years of age is extreme. People are supposed to get married young. The idea is that once you are too old, no one will want to be with you.

We also have this notion in America. The idea that women have a "biological clock" and if  we don't hurry we will be too old. Ideas in America are changing in this regard and maybe they will change here too. It is clear that Beijing is adapting with it's hipster-chic cafes, CSA's and farmers markets, artsy stores and restaurants, but also still keeping intact the vibrant Chinese culture that makes this city so interesting to live in. 

Here are some photos from around Beijing: 

                        Lama Temple- the scent of incense is everywhere. It's such a spiritual atmosphere:


 With their graceful movements and beautiful traditional Chinese music, these women make my daily walks to the can ting (pronounced sawn teen) or dining hall, a pleasant experience. 

I love nice food and nice prices. just saying.

 My new favorite pizza place on Wudaojie the hipster-chic street



No comments:

Post a Comment