Wednesday, October 1, 2014

How to cross the street in China

I have news everyone. Chinese finally almost makes sense! This may not seem like big news, but being confused 24/7 gets old fast. Although I cannot understand everyone, many things make more sense than before. For example, when getting food at the canting I can have small conversations with the servers about what I want to eat instead of just pointing and hoping it is food that I can eat.

Because of this, I was feeling on top of the world one day, so I went to the local bakery to pick up some pastries. Unfortunately this means that I had to cross a huge intersection, which in China is the scariest and most dangerous thing one can do.

So, with the green light motioning me to go, I looked both ways (my mother taught me well) and  took one step into the intersection. All of a sudden a honk blared in my eardrum making me jump back. A vespa zoomed past where I had just been standing. My heart beating race car fast, I took two more steps and then stopped right in the middle of the street as a turning bus cut me off. It passed by me so closely  that my nose could almost touch it. With nose intact,  I sprinted across the rest of street, making it safely to the other side. After that experience I decided to make a list of five easy rules to follow so that when visiting China, so you do not get hit while crossing the street:

1. When you hear a honk move out of the way because the driver WILL run you over (or yell at you for being an idiot). The street is a vicious hierarchy, bigger vehicles have the right of way.

2. Cling to groups. If you see at least one other person crossing, cling to them for your life and they will lead you to safety.


3. Even on small streets, do not look in awe at the wondrous sights around you. Nine times out of ten a moped or one of the buggy cars will hit you.
                               
4. Lose your sense of self preservation. If you are afraid of getting run over, make it a rule to never cross a street.

5. The most important rule is that there are no rules. On the streets of Beijing, it is every person for themselves.

Here are a couple pictures where there were no cars and barely any people: The Great Wall of China!!!

Look how blue the sky is!!!! This means no pollution:)













2 comments: