Tuesday, December 16, 2014

How to combat culture shock

When I arrived in Beijing, I was prepared for the worst. Not only had everyone and their mother told me what to expect, but I had also done a lot of research. In a way, it made coming to China a more stressful experience, but once I was here I realized life was not as bad as the Internet or others around me had told me it would be. That said, it is good to be aware of local customs so you can mentally prepare yourself and lessen the effects of culture shock. The following is a list of things to expect when you live in China. 

1. Spitting

I cringe every time I hear someone begin to hawk a loogie, and it happens at least 50 times a day, no matter if I am walking down the street, or  riding the ditie*. One time I had to jump out of the way to avoid a loogie. That was an extreme case and of course does not happen to everyone!

2. Squatty Potty

There is probably a better term for this but I like referring to it as a squatty potty. These squat toilets are found in every establishment, from schools and museums to restaurants, and stores. It is highly unlikely you will see a western toilet. It only took me a couple weeks to get used to these squatty potties. Remember ALWAYS BRING HAND SANITIZER AND TOILET PAPER. Only in the 5 star bathrooms you will be provided with toilet paper (usually not soap)  but those are rare and glorious occasions. 

3. Private Space

What is private space? I have forgotten. Everywhere you go, there will be tons of people in your personal bubble. Once you accept this fact of Beijing life, you can move on and not let it bother you. Just like the cars (remember this post?) people will not let you pass or let you on the subway. Often the subway is so crowded people are squished up against the doors. Living here  you learn fast---- if you want to accomplish anything  push, push, push. 

4. Beds

In China it is thought that hard beds are better for the posture. In my dorm, host family and in many of the hotels (not all of them) the beds tend to consist of a wooden box and a thin mattress.  It took me just a couple weeks to get used to these box beds, but for those who cannot handle hard beds, there is a Walmart that is stocked with tons of mattress pads. 

5. Food

When I first arrived here I thought the food was delicious. Everywhere I went the food tasted like heaven. The food still tastes great, but I am getting tired of the grease. Be ready for heavily cooked food and tons of oil. Even in my host family they use a lot of oil when cooking. 

6. Warm water

In restaurants and cafes when you ask for water they will give you warm or boiling hot water in a glass. This is because warm water is considered to be better for the digestive system. At first I intensely disliked this custom, but I have gotten used to it and now I would never go back to ice cold water. 

 China is a great place to study abroad and to live, so do not let this list discourage you. I know that it helped me to know these things beforehand so I hope this list will help you too. 
A
*ditie means subway and is pronounced di-tee-eh 

1 comment: